[78-L] Skinamarink

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Thu Dec 29 22:40:28 PST 2016

On 12/30/2016 1:25 AM, David Lennick wrote:
> I know they sing Skinamarink or Skidamarink in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (the play,
> not sure about the movie). But this dates it to 1910:

I first heard this on a Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem song, the Little
Beggarman:  "With holes in my shoes and my toes peeping through/ Singing
skinny-me-rink a doodle o and old Johnny Dhu.." (I've also seen it
spelled Johnny Dew.)  It's always listed in sheet music as a
"traditional Irish melody," so I have no idea how old it is.