[78-L] Groove spacing - groove width

Ron roscoer at verizon.net.invalid
Sat Nov 19 10:23:06 PST 2016

I think you mean bass CUT on recording.  I'm pretty sure that the
250Hz-300Hz turnover stayed for a long time.  I would like to know where you
get the 500 Hz value; perhaps I missed it somehow!  But, I honestly think
that the 500 Hz turnover would have provided a seriously noticeable
low-frequency loss in playback without any compensating playback bass boost.
Do you think that the bass boost only started to occur when crystal
cartridges became widely used?  A crystal has a natural playback
characteristic that includes some bass boost as well as treble cut.  I think
that by the time crystals became widely used the recordings were also made
with treble boost to help cut the high-frequency record noise.

Gary Galo has written a wonderful account of record equalization:  "Disc
Recording Equalization
Demystified By Gary A. Galo"  I don't have the magazine title from which the
article came but you can download the article here:
www.novotone.eu/_site/projets/Projet06/Doc01.pdf
Gary, love to hear what you have to say about this!

Yes, I have also viewed the 10-51 schematic.  I have a friend who has a huge
collection of pre-1930 Victor consoles with either changers or single play
turntables and he claims NONE of them have compensating bass boost for
playback.  That's why I wonder when the playback equalization might have
begun.
Fascinating topic!

Ron Roscoe