[78-L] Groove spacing - groove width

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Sat Nov 19 08:11:57 PST 2016

Vitaphone discs were 16 inch (apparently some smaller ones were used for the
songs in The Jazz Singer, which must have driven the projectionists to with
they were octopussies). That size and speed became the basis for transcription
discs by 1930. The original Vitaphone discs did indeed play for only 10
minutes, so groove spacing and width could be wider.

dl