[78-L] Who's there?

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Mon Nov 7 13:01:13 PST 2016

On 11/7/2016 9:51 AM, Michael Shoshani wrote:
> Still here, still kicking on 78-L after....oh who knows how long. I have
> saved discussions going back to 2006, but I'm pretty sure I joined up in
> the late 90s to early 2000s.

Michael, the earliest message I have from you was written in November
1997, back when Cornell was our server.  You said: "Ever hear the Will
Bradley/Ray McKinley version of "Five O'Clock Whistle"?
It is probably the only version ever recorded that ever really swung,
with a nice driving rhythm and a mind-blowing Bradley trombone
solo...but you absolutely cannot play the vocal refrain today.  They
didn't use the actual song lyrics; Mac falsettoed some very "Beulah"-ish
lines about "dat man"...something taken as a given in the early 40s but
mercifully not practiced today.
--
shoshani at wwa.com        //   In the beginning, God made idiots;
  Michael Shoshani     //   This was for practice