[78-L] FW: Huge 78 collection (800+) to show: SAT, 10/15, at Great Escape Charlotte Avenue…

Joe Salerno jsalerno at collector.org.invalid
Sat Oct 8 08:19:19 PDT 2016

I no longer quantify a collection by the number of items because they
can vary in size. My collection is 78s, LPs, transcriptions, VHS, CDs,
cassettes, a few 45s, and that's just the audio. Not trying to brag,
just saying that the reality of being a media collector these days is
diversity in media. Albums full of 78s take up more space, but just like
LPs, I consider packing part of the item, especially where liner notes
are included. I haven't yet discarded albums.

So I now measure by linear feet (meters for those across the pond) since
that is what it requires to store the things. My last acquisition was
apx. 165' (125 boxes X 16" per box divided by 12" = apx. linear feet).
This is also something that is easy to convert to shelving space.

By dividing the linear feet by the linear space on the shelving unit, I
know how many more shelving units it will require and what kind of
space I am looking for in a room. So in my example 165' divided by 18
feet, assuming the shelf is this large, I need about 9 pieces.

Doesn't mean I have the space, just that I now know what I wish I had,
and like Kristjan, I am aware of the weight requirements only too well.

I wish I had designated a larger room in my house as the archive when I
moved in.

Joe Salerno