[78-L] Any tips for reading (or rubbing) matrix numbers?

Rodger Holtin 78-L rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Sat Oct 1 06:21:40 PDT 2016

My wife is an ardent genealogist and I went with her to a session on reading worn tombstones.  One technique I picked up there is to use a small mirror to focus a strong light and shine it *across* the surface.  Sure enough sometimes that works even on worn coins or Columbia matrix under the label. Nothing is guaranteed but give it a try.

Another option with limited application is a very light dusting of talcum powder. Sometimes help accent engraved stuff.  (Dust a little of that on a spiderweb back sometime!)

A variation of your paper method is to use a carpenter's pencil as the broad surface will give your rubbing a more even stroke and not as likely to get the conical point down into the recesses which would color in an area you want left uncolored. Sharpen the carpenter pencil on concrete will give a flatter surface than whittling it down with a pocket knife.

Sent from my iPhone, which explainz any bad typjng and nonsensical word choices.