[78-L] how long is it?

Malcolm malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Sun Sep 25 12:23:12 PDT 2016

I just got an interesting question from a friend who has nothing to do
with 78s!
He asked: "If a record didn't go round  and round but a 3 minute
(groove) went straight,  how (long would the groove be)?"

To which I replied: "There's got to be a math formula for this - how
does one figure out the length of a decreasing spiral over 2 radial
dimensions? First, you'd have to know the pitch of the groove - that's
how many lines per inch along a radius the groove makes. Secondly, you'd
have to measure the inside and outside radii of the spiral. I think
that's all that is needed to plug into a set formula.
Someone in 78-land will know this.
I'll ask."

Anyone?

Malcolm