[78-L] 78-L Digest,THE INVISIBLE AMPERSAND AND DOC EVANS

Jack Daney2 jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com.invalid
Wed Sep 14 16:33:52 PDT 2016

> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 03:18:09 +0000 (UTC)
> From: 78records at cdbpdx.com.invalid
> Subject: [78-L] Fw: 3 Seconds of Nothing??
> To: 78-l Online    <78-l at 78online.com>
>

>     Oops!? The link should have a dot instead of the ampersand, thus:
> [url]http://78records.cdbpdx.com/DEB-a/ONE-SWEET-LETTER_Doc-Evans-Band_DUBLINS_D1b.mp3[/url]
> Sorry!? Cliff

To paraphrase Alfonse Bedoya in "Sierra Madre", "I deedn't find no steenkin' ampersand."   This (&), to the best of my knowledge is an ampersand and thee was none to be found even after numerous tries with a magnifier. Even more confounding is that none of the responders mentioned this, assuming they tried the links which seems doubtful. After eons as a 78-L subscriber, little surprises me anymore.

My attempt to use or modify the links only brought forth "not found." But, as Doc Evans (one of my favorite dixielanders)  was involved I pressed on and found the recording and seven others all apparently from a 78 album of yesteryear. For this I am grateful and offer my sincere thanks.

As a lifelong pro trumpeter and moonlighting recording engineer in the late sixties I long ago came to realize that anything can and will happen in the recording chain from session to mastering. Loony bins, the streets of the city and our Capital  are not the only places where one can find whackos and incompetent ego-maniacs.

Evans was a wonderful and very musical player (very much in the style of Mugsy Spanier and Bix) Whom I was able to hear live at a luncheon session in a Minneapolis restaurant in 1952 while on the road with a band. I'm ashamed to admit I never got around to purchasing any of his recordings, especially the Firehous Five, all of which now seem to be rare or expensive so this was a real find with or without  (&).