[78-L] Steel needles

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net.invalid
Sun Aug 21 19:57:21 PDT 2016

in an article by Wakeman about shellac on the Antique Phonograph Society
page
he states:

RCA Victor introduced the first crystal pickup phonograph models in 1936. In
addition to being light weight, the crystals were inexpensive and convenient
to install. They also permitted the use of semi-permanent sapphire and
diamond styli and softer shellac records. Layers of thin quartz crystals can
produce similar electric potentials. Later certain ceramics formed with
metallic oxides were developed to have greatly improved piezoelectric
properties.

Full article here:

http://www.antiquephono.org/the-origin-many-uses-of-shellac-by-r-j-wakeman/

Ron L