[78-L] Columbia A1608 - Old Comrades March

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Wed Aug 10 11:29:44 PDT 2016

Here's a picture of the record's B-side:
https://www.discogs.com/Stanley-Kirkby-Columbia-Band-Its-A-Long-Long-Way-To-Tipperary-Old-Comrades-March/release/5782606
(click: "more images")

"Columbia Band", "Columbia Orchestra", "Columbia Quartette" were names
of studio orchestras sometimes renamed as The Imperial Guards Band, The
Burlington Orchestra or The Granville Quartette etc. Some of these
recordings are listed here
http://mgthomas.co.uk/Records/LabelPages/Phoenix.htm
being re-released in the 1910's on British Columbia's subsidiary label
Phoenix, who also used the X-prefix as control number covering the
original Columbia mx numbers, like the 00095-1 for "Old Comrades".
Seems like the 1914 US reissue, instead of using Columbia's original
00095 mx number, used the Phoenix control number as mx number. (The
Phoenix label numbers had an O-prefix).

Anyway, it's pretty sure that "Old Comrades" was an original US
recording on Columbia - there are lot of other US recordings listed here
with similar mx-numbers:
http://www.musiktiteldb.de/Interpreten/1737.html
all of the from 1900-1904.
Question is if the recording was issued on Columbia or some other label
before the reissue in 1914.
Kristjan