[78-L] Monroe Silver on Lyric

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org.invalid
Sat Jul 23 13:27:12 PDT 2016

Greetings from FixitLand!

zimrec at juno.com wrote:

> I turned up a copy of Lyric 5602 - Monroe Silver - Cohen on His Honeymoon / Cohen on Prohibition. Silver's ubiquitous Cohen routines appear on many labels, often with varying versions of the same monologue on different labels.  I was hoping to find an approximate recording date for the Lyric 78, but the label is not listed in 78discography.com. After consulting the Monroe Silver discography on honkingduck.com, where the Lyric issue is also omitted, I notice that the routines are split on consecutively numbered discs on Banner 2050 & 2051, and Silvertone 2103 & 2104. The matrices on the Lyric are 12081-2 and 12082-2, respectively. Two questions: Are the recordings on Lyric unique or do those mxs appear on another label?  Is there an online listing of Lyric label issues? Art

The Abrams Files include a label file for Lyric, but it is incomplete and 5602 is unfortunately not listed. From nearby matrix numbers we might infer a very approximate recording date of late 1919 or perhaps early 1920. Matrices 12051 (Lyric 4210) and 12053 (Lyric 4212) are shown as circa November 1919, though intervening matrix 12052 (Lyric 4202) is shown as circa October 1919.

Take care,

—
Joe
—
“One day I was counting the cats and I absent-mindedly counted myself.” — Bobbie Ann Mason (Shiloh and Other Stories)

--
*Celebrating 30 years of service.*