[78-L] Jass before Jazz

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl.invalid
Wed Jul 6 13:02:32 PDT 2016

Frederick T. Fellers was so kind to mail me fine scans of his FZ copy, with the takes:
Strutters-3 / Indiana-2.
Thus BOTH TAKES of each title were used for the first issue, printed in June and released August/September 1917.

han enderman
===
>>> The question is not fully clear to me, but here are some comments:

Co A-2297 is a very common record and I have many label scans. Actually at least 25 of each side.
ALL are as "Played by ORIGINAL DIXIELAND JASS BAND"; so JAZZ is an error.

In June 1917, Columbia decided to mention the printing date on the labels, with a 2-letter code: month & year.
The year 1917 is shown as Z (1918 = Y, 1919 = X, 1920 = W) and the months are A-L (Jan.-Dec.).
The very first code is FZ ((June 1917) and is known to me for A-2296 (Collins & Harlan), A-2297 (ODJB), and also some labels in the range A-2298-2307.
The popular A-2297 ODJB was regularly repressed, and thus is also known with GZ, IZ & KZ labels, and the last codes I have seen for this ODJB are GW and possibly KX.
Regrettably the takes are often invisible on the label shots, but I have got a few scans with the take reported or visible:
Strutters-3 with KZ (Nov 1917)
Strutters-4 with FZ (1st printing, Jun 1917) and AY (Jan 1918)
Indiana-2 KZ
Indiana-3 FZ & AY
Maybe stampers of both takes were used originally to get a sufficient number pressed.

Note that not only the band credit but also the 1st title is spelled incorrectly (in Lord).
Title on label is:
Darktown Strutters' Ball (FZ, GW; the usual title).
But a misspelling Darktown Strutter's Ball occurs (seen on 2 copies, both with unreadable date code).
Does someone have a good scan?

han enderman
===

Thanks for the comments -

Has it been noted in the literature that like Victor, Columbia changed their label from Jass to Jazz?
But unlike Columbia, Victor retained the same take.

In other words, the Columbia, with later takes and "Jass" was the first issue - followed by a re-pressing with earlier takes and "Jazz".

Cheers,

Andrew
------
Not at all in the case of many jazz and blues records..in fact I find the -2 or B take to be the first choice on hundreds of Victors and OKehs, unless they "got it right" the first time and didn't do a second one.

In later years, some companies like Columbia numbered their takes after the fact, in order of preference. On Decca, a D take usually means an A take that's been dubbed (and usually sounds terrible).

dl

> Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 02:17:31 -0400
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> From: burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Jass before Jazz
>

> I have no authoritative knowledge whatsoever but generally the higher takes are issued first; the only reason the higher takes are there is because the lower takes were less than satisfactory.
>
> db
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jul 4, 2016, at 1:14 AM, Andrew Homzy <andrew.homzy at gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > We know that the first Victor of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band originally had labels with the spelling as Jass Band
> >
> > I'm interested in knowing if there is documentation that also describes the alternate takes of the Columbia which reads: Original Dixieland Jass Band.
> >
> > Does this mean that the higher takes were issued first?
> >
> > 77086-4    At the darktown strutters' ball
> >
> > 77087-3    Indiana    Col A-2297
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Andrew Homzy
> > 180 Pirates Lane
> > Nanaimo, BC
> > V9R 6R1
> > 250-667-0238
> >

> > [O1237]  Original Dixieland Jazz Band
> >
> > Nick LaRocca (cnt,dir) Eddie Edwards (tb) Larry Shields (cl) Henry Ragas (p) Tony Sbarbaro (d)
> >    New York, May 31, 1917
> >
> > 77086-3    At the darktown strutters' ball    Col A-2297, 2903, C3L-30, CBS BPG62232, King Jazz
> > (Swi)KJ118FS [CD], Timeless (Du)CBC1-035 [CD]
> >
> > 77086-4    At the darktown strutters' ball    Col A-2297, Philips 436000
> >
> > 77087-2    Indiana       -      , Philips 436000, King Jazz
> > (Swi)KJ118FS [CD]
> >
> > 77087-3    Indiana    Col A-2297, Timeless (Du)CBC1-035 [CD]

<<<