[78-L] Many messages

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Tue Jun 28 16:01:23 PDT 2016

Facebook...But where, except on this list, could you have this kind of
conversation about 78's, which, if saved, is searchable twelve years later?
This is from October 2004:

Steve Abrams wrote:

> There may have been some experiments with tape in '48 but tape was not
> introduced until the spring of 1949, for back-ups.  They were still recording
> Gigli direct to disc in October 1954, but he did have some sessions in 1953
> that seem to have been tape only.  The tapes only surfaced a few years ago.  4
> CDs appeared from this material on Testament (including a 1955 session in
> stereo).
>
> Italian HMV did not have tape until 1952.
>
> I am not aware of any recordings mastered from tape in 1948.  What I would
> like to know is the date of the first lp issued from a tape source.  I would
> also like to know whether any of the early lps were recorded direct to disc.

As noted, Mike Gray says EMI began recording backups on tape in October 1948. No
LPs were issued by EMI till 1952, but 78s began to appear from tape sources
somewhere along the line..no idea how frequently, but Mike notes that one side of
Bantock's "Fifine At The Fair", recorded June and July 1949, was edited from two
tape sources.

Meanwhile, over at Decca/London, does anyone know when they started using tape?

I believe that all of US Columbia's first lps were mastered direct to disc from
the original 16" lacquers, which contained the original 4-minute takes recorded
for 78 issue. You can certainly hear flaws and over-long pauses in some of them,
such as Rodzinski's "Pictures at an Exhibition" where there's a huge pause before
"Great Gate at Kiev". "I Can Hear It Now" was acknowledged as having been produced
on tape on the original issue.

dl