[78-L] Roger Kay's Fantasy for Clarinet and Strings on REX Label with Barney Bigard

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Apr 22 00:05:44 PDT 2016

On 22/04/16 07:20, 78records at cdbpdx.com.invalid wrote:
> Here's something you don't run across every day, a 2 record album set on the REX label from 1944 featuring Roger Kay's String Orchestra and Barney Bigard's clarinet.  This albumwas limited to 1000 copies, each signed (initialed) by Barney Bigard and numbered.  This album is number 0233.  Don't know how many of these 1000 were actually sold nor do I have any clue how many might still exist today.  The music is nothing to write home about, but the concept is pretty cool.  It was recorded July 27, 1944.  You can see the details of thisalbum online here:
> ROGER KAY'S FANTASY FOR CLARINET AND STRINGS STARRING BARNEY BIGARD 1944
> How often do these turn up?
> Cliff

I have these on a scuffy Atlantic EP. As you say, the music is nothing
special--I doubt if I've played it more than twice in the last fifty
years. The attraction for me was the presence of Remo Palmieri, my
favourite guitarist. I do remember that when I purchased it from
Dobell's in London, I handed the sleeve to John Kendal in the
second-hand department, and he couldn't locate the disc. Fellow
collector Mike Doyle, who was there, said he would locate it for me,
which he eventually did.

I've seen the 78 set turn up on auction lists from time to time, but
knowing what the music was like, I didn't bother to go for them.

      Julian Vein