[78-L] Lousy on 78s- great as reissue

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Mon Apr 11 14:40:06 PDT 2016

Just clarifying..I've produced CD reissues of some of this same material (for VAI, Pearl, Lys/Dante, Naxos and other labels) so I know where the side breaks are. As well as how good or bad some of the original 78s sound. And how poor some of the first LPs can be if they were working from second generation 16" lacquers..I think this had to be the case in some instances, especially if they had tricky joins to do and didn't want to wear out their primary source. (There are some recordings that never made it to lp and never even got a second mastering on 78, like the Busch Chamber Players' Grosse Fuge, and I wonder if one of the original transcription discs might have been damaged or broken....)
There are some very quiet early 40s Columbia pressings where you can hear the 33rpm lacquer noise! Found this on a couple of Guiomar Novaes sides.

dl