[78-L] Lonnie Johnson 1960s recording ?

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Mar 18 12:15:15 PDT 2016

On 18/03/16 17:51, Thomas Stern wrote:
> I'm not much aware of the later career of LONNIE JOHNSON, other than he
> recorded a few albums for Prestige/Bluesville.
>
> Found the following album,  would like to know something about it, and
> Johnson's later years……
>
> don’t recognize the catalog series - is this Canadian ???
>
> There is a HARMONY (Canada) album on auction, same tracks (usually Harmony
> deleted a couple) ???
>

> Thanks!
>
> Best wishes, Thomas.
>

> COLUMBIA ELS 310   STOMPIN' AT THE PENNY               LP 196?
>
> with Jim McHARG's Metro Stompers
>
> featuring LONNIE JOHNSON
>

> Jim McHarg, bass
>
> Charles Gall, cornet
>

> Produced by P.S.Westwood
>
> liner: Patric Scott
>

> the liner indicates THE PENNY FARTHING is a coffee house in  Yorkeville,
> Toronto, Canada
>

> A1 Dippermouth Blues
>
> A2 Trouble in Mind
>
> A3 The Marines Hymn
>
> A4 My Mother's Eyes
>
> A5 Go Go Swing
>
> A6 The Old Rugged Cross
>
> A7 China Boy
>
> B1 Stompin' at the Penny
>
> B2 West End Blues
>
> B3 Bring it on Home to Mama
>
> B4 The Fourteenth of July
>
> B5 Mr. Blues Walks
>
> B6 Canal Street Blues
>

> Harmony(Canada)  ‎ HES-6022
>
> Jim McHarg's Metro Stompers ‎– New Orleans Jazz
>
> A1        Dipper Mouth Blues       2:17
>
> A2        Trouble In Mind 3:03
>
> A3        The Marines Hymn       2:45
>
> A4        My Mother's Eyes 3:45
>
> A5        Go Go Swing    2:38
>
> A6        The Old Rugged Cross 3:35
>
> A7        China Boy         2:57
>
> B1        Stompin' At The Penny  2:34
>
> B2        West End Blues            3:31
>
> B3        Bring It Home To Mama   3:55
>
> B4        The Fourteenth Of July 2:56
>
> B5        Mr.Blues Walk  4:08
>
> B6        Canal Street Blues        2:41
>

> Credits
>
> Banjo – R. Simpson
>
> Clarinet – E. Nelson
>
> Contrabass – Jim McHarg
>
> Cornet – Charles Gall*
>
> Drums – B. Nathan*
>
> Guitar – Lonnie Johnson

 From Lord 10.0:
Jim McHarg
[M4481-10] Jim McHarg
Stompin' At The Penny: Jim McHarg's Stompers:
Charlie Gall (cnt) Eric Nielson (cl) Ron Simpson (bj) Lonnie Johnson
(g-1,vcl) Jim McHarg (b) Bernie Nathan (d)
Toronto, Canada, November 24, 1965
     Dippermouth blues    Col (Can)EL110
     Trouble in mind       -
     The marines' hymn       -
     My mother's eyes       -
     Go go swing (lj vcl) (1)    Col (Can)EL110, Origin OJL-8104/5
     Old rugged cross       -
     China boy (1)       -                  -
     Stompin' at the Savoy [Stompin' at the Penny]       -
     West End blues (1)       -                  -
     Bring it on home to mama (lj vcl) (1)       -                  -
     The fourteenth of July (cg out)       -
     Mr. Blues walks (lj vcl) (1)       -                  -
     Canal Street blues       -
Note: Columbia (Can)EL110(mono) = ELS310(stereo).
All above titles also on Harmony HES6022.
All above titles also on Columbia/Legacy 57829 [CD] titled "Lonnie
Johnson - Stompin' at the Penny".

      Julian Vein