[78-L] OT(?): Big Band leaders as pianists

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Mon Dec 7 13:51:46 PST 2015

Was listening to the Duke Ellington 1961 album "Piano In The Foreground"
(with Aaron Bell/ Jimmy Woode, Sam Woodyard) and noticed the unusually
uneven mix between piano and bass/drums. The piano was really in the
foreground, the percussion was hardly heard.
Thought:; well, Duke was a nice pianist, but this was a situation where
he was part of a trio and didn't excel in nifty soloing - why give him
prominence in this way?
Next thought: how high in regard as pianist was he? And what about other
Big Band leader pianists: Basie, Fletcher Henderson, Stan Kenton, Earl
Hines?
Well, I know Hines was probably more valued as pianist than band leader,
and Kenton, certainly the opposite - I'm a big fan of Kenton's big band
sound but find him mediocre as pianist.
Other names I should have mentioned? Carla Bley, Mike Westbrook?
Eager to hear your opinions about these guys.
Kristjan

---