[78-L] Resonance

Dustin Wittmann dpwittmann at gmail.com.invalid
Wed Nov 25 07:58:44 PST 2015

I'm 30, and here is my view of how the names on the original list probably
resonate with the average 20-something in middle America:

*Still very strong on the radar*:
The Beatles (strong for foreseeable future)
Elvis (still out there but I suspect he'll decline pretty fast in the next
20 years as Baby Boomer influence wanes)
Frank Sinatra (classy cocktail bar music everywhere)
Ella Fitzgerald (niche but still strong)
Bing Crosby (only because of Christmas songs and references in the animated
TV show Family Guy)
Nat “King” Cole (mostly Chrismas music)
Louis Armstrong (dangerously close to irrelevant to most)
Glenn Miller (seen as great-grandpa music but widely known, especially In
the Mood)

*Some might have a passing knowledge of these ones but most are entirely
clueless*:
Al Jolson (is this the blackface guy?)
Fats Waller (I never heard of him until I took a music class in college)
Doris Day (borderline fits below)
Duke Ellington (many probably know his songs but I doubt many would know
who he was)
George Gershwin (borderline fits below)
Vera Lynn (probably only from the reference in the Pink Floyd song)

*Almost nobody knows who these people are and might have heard their name
once or twice in a music class:*

George Formby (I collect 78s and still don't really know who he is but now
sort of do because I looked him up on Wikipedia)
Al Bowlly (I only know who he is because I collect 78s)
Hoagy Carmichael
Johnny Mercer

My students, who are in their twenties, definitely know and like Sinatra,
Ella, Billie Holiday, and Judy Garland.

Jeff Sultanof