[78-L] Columbia. AF1.

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net.invalid
Mon Sep 28 17:16:52 PDT 2015

Earl,
  Thanks for the details.
  I've copied a response to this query (below) received on the ARSC list,
which
may interest others.
  There is a book SEVENTY YEARS OF ISSUES
about the various projects reprinting "78s"  - IRCC, HRS, AGS, etc.
HISTORICAL MASTERS was doing this, but seems to be dormant now - anyone know
for sure ???
  Does anyone have that book - is the
Columbia AF series listed ??
  There is a ROSA PONSELLE LP, copyright
1951 by Addison Foster (GOLDEN LEGEND LP 1201), Columbia XTV stampers
non-consecutive numbers.  From 1918-23 recordings.  This would have been
co-existent with Foster's American Gramophone
Society (AGS A, B) 78 pressings.  Does
anyone know of any other LP's issued
by Foster ???  Thanks!
  Best wishes, Thomas.

FROM ARSC list response:
AF 1   PONSELLE, Rosa (soprano)

        La Juive: Il va venir (Halevy)

         98096-3 Recorded 11th January 1924

        Lohengrin: Einsam in truben Tagen (Wagner)

         98093-1 Recorded 21st September 1923

 Both sides previously unpublished

AF 2   FREMSTAD, Olive (soprano)

        Tosca: Vissi d'arte (Puccini)

         30644-1 Recorded 21st January 1911

         Issued as Columbia 30644

         Historical Reissue - IRCC 74

        Tannhauser: Dich, teure Halle (Wagner)

         30635-2 Recorded 21st January 1911

         Issued as Columbia 30635

         Historical Reissue - IRCC 12

AF 3   FREMSTAD, Olive (soprano)

        Lohengrin: Einsam in truben Tagen (Wagner)

         30645-1 Recorded 30th January 1911

         Issued as Columbia 30645

         Historical Reissue - IRCC 12

       NORDICA, Lillian (soprano)

        Mignon: Je suis Titania (Thomas)

         30661-1 Recorded 2nd February 1911

         Issued as Columbia 30661

Notes - The 3 Fremstad items appear to be the only Fremstad metals to have
survived at Bridgeport into
the 1930s. These metals were possibly destroyed when
a major cull of original parts occurred in more recent times.
The Columbia Historical Series may have been some form of answer to the
Victor Heritage Series. As the Victor series seems to have been a
comparative failure that may account for the brevity of the Columbia
Historical Series. Addison Foster managed much better with a later reissue
project  - the extensive AGSA & AGSB series pressed by HMV on shellac in the
UK in the early 1950s.
Best Wishes
Mike Quinn