[78-L] Green Eyed Dragon

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
Wed Sep 2 18:26:39 PDT 2015

I ran into a record which probably isn't very rare but it was new to me; it was a Victor Red Seal of "The Green-Eyed Dragon", but it wasn't by John Charles Thomas, it was Reinald Warrenrath, (sp?).  It looks like it was recorded sometiime in the late '20s and it's the first time I've ever heard this song sung by anyone except JCT.  It's a much different interpretation, not near as dramatic, (however it's more dramatic than I've ever heard from this singer).  I believe Thomas recorded it around 1934 and I have no doubt that if he had recorded it first, this Warrenrath record wouldn't exist.  I don't think J. C. Thomas knows the meaning of the word "inhibitions" as this song and "Open Road" proves.