[78-L] Summertime

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Jun 7 02:25:46 PDT 2015

On 07/06/15 02:26, David Weiner wrote:
> If Artie Shaw could record Irving Berlin¹s ³Suppertime,² about a lynching,
> as a dance band record with vocal,then I don¹t see what would prevent
> ³Summertime² from being done that way. I think the perception of the PORGY
> AND BESS songs being too highbrow may have kept the dance bands from it.
> Certainly Guy Lombardo and Leo Reisman did some of the ³lighter² songs
> from the show in dance band renditions.
>
> Dave Weiner

The whole point about "Supper Time" is not just that a woman's husband
has been lynched. She can't go home and just grieve, because she has to
try to carry on as normal by feeding and looking after her children. I
think the reason why "Summertime" has survived and "Supper Time" hasn't
is because the former has a superior melody.

      Julian Vein