[78-L] Binger's Laughing Record

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Fri May 15 04:44:31 PDT 2015

I guess we have a sibling her to Berliner's talking doll - in this case
a record that could be played when the robot, displayed in a show
window, was laughing.
Here's the 17 February 1934 issue of UK Magazine "The Chemist &
Druggist", where there appears to be an ad from O D Binger about he
introduction of the "Laughing Robot" series.

https://archive.org/stream/b19974760M2940/b19974760M2940_djvu.txt

For use in this setting the record definitely had to be a shellac
pressing and no lacquer. And, BTW, 1934 was the year when lacquer discs
were introduced for radio station use and hadn't yet replaced wax as the
instantaneous alternative in recording studios. (According to the Mike
Biel 27 December 2002 post to this list.)
Kristjan