[78-L] Ella Mae Morse Capitol Test Pressing 1889-3R1, A

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org.invalid
Thu Apr 30 09:58:32 PDT 2015

Greetings from FixitLand!

Clifford Bolling wrote:

> Greetings.  Just came across a nice Capitol test pressing of Ella Mae Morse singing GET OFF IT AND GO from 1947.  The matrix number is 1889-3R1, take A.  The disc measures about 11 1/4" diameter.  I posted a recording of this disc on YouTube at:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ipnXv0ADE
> I think the 3R1 indicates the recording studio..??  Any comments?

The meaning of the 'A' is unknown to me, but it's not the take. This is matrix 1889, take 3. The 'R' (or 'L' on some pressings and masters) has a different meaning (could be "left" and "right" turntable...?). The '1' is also a mystery; could be a transfer number, a mother or stamper number, etc.

Issued on Capitol 424. There's a copy on the Dock-o'-the-'Bay right now bearing 1889-3R2. Same take, different mother/stamper/wotever.

There's at least one Capitol where I have an 'L' *and* and 'R' pressing...takes are still the same.

Take care,

—
Joe "The Victor Freak"
—
“One day I was counting the cats and I absent-mindedly counted myself.” — Bobbie Ann Mason (Shiloh and Other Stories)

--
*Celebrating 30 years of service.*