[78-L] Record Sleeve questions /requests

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com.invalid
Sat Apr 25 07:45:13 PDT 2015

I am putting the finishing touches on the history of record sleeves
presentation for ARSC.  Several questions and requests.

1)  I seem to recall someone telling me there were three examples of the
type of the Berliner sleeve pictured in Guide to Victor Records book.
Is that true?  Do you have pictures or know of any others from the
1890s?

2)  Did the Tomango and Melba sleeves have a celluloid insert on the
inside of the hole.  My Melba sleeve does not and does not show evidence
of the loss of one.

3)  The Victor book mentions but does not show a revised Tomango cover
from after his death.  I would need a picture of one, and if there was a
second picture of him in either the first or second example.

4)  Do you have, or have you ever seen an envelope type of sleeve that
would have a label hole in the front and constructed of four flaps with
the fourth flap being a sealable flap. This was done in 1906 by a Victor
Jobber in  Chicago, the Talking Machine Co., at a time when Victor still
did not use sleeves, so this jobber did -- and it was an exclusive
Victor jobber.  Their trademark was a large X and I think this
represented the way the rear flaps looked.

5) Michael Corenthal illustrated a sleeve marked from Larry Holdridge's
collection that has a hole-less rear that is identified on it as a list
of New Victor Records for December 1907.  The front shows Victor
accessories like record cases, horn bags, record cabinets, and brushes.
Do you have this sleeve or a similar one especially with a date like
this one has.

6) Prior to Victor and Columbia finally sleeving their records in 07 and
08 (I believe) there were other jobbers and dealers starting to sleeve
records themselves.  Can you think of any specific examples?  I've some
pictures of a few I think COULD be from those years but they are
undated.  I'll show them but would love to find something that HAD to
come from that era -- especially if there were anything from Leeds &
Catlin or Hawthorne & Sheeble.

Thanks

Mike  Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com