[78-L] Audio Processing Disorder [was: Older musicians]

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Wed Apr 15 09:54:57 PDT 2015

Having worked unmuffled in high dB environments for many years, for
which I now pay by having intermittent bouts of  tinnitus, I can attest
to a similar problem.
When I'd be working onstage, especially if the stage was small (16'x8'
or smaller) and enclosed on 5 sides, the sound pressure created by the
physical environment plus  up to 6 musicians with their amplifiers,
drums and up to 16" speakers
was enough to make me hear up to a half tone sharp when performing and,
consequently, my voice would be out of tune with the band. What alerted
me to this, and the only way I could tell this was happening, was
holding the last note sung as the band faded out at the end of a tune
and finding it off pitch.
All my life I've had great relative pitch - which can approach "perfect
pitch" - and I was aghast (I put quotes around "perfect pitch" because I
do not believe it exists. I believe that all pitch is relative pitch,
but that's for another discussion).
The solution was, of course, to have the band turn it down (hard to do
when things are popping along on the stand!) or to use ear protection,
which I began doing about half way through my professional musical career.
So it makes sense that a steady 110 dB signal within an enclosed space,
plus peaks, on a regular basis can force the appearance of perceived
pitch to alter.
Malcolm

*******