[78-L] Older musicians

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 14 12:51:55 PDT 2015

On 14/04/15 12:11, Kristjan Saag wrote:
> On 2015-04-14 13:09, Don Cox wrote:
>
> Nobody has mentioned what I notice most when listening to recordings of
> older musicians. This is the loss of accuracy in timing. There is also a
> tendency to play more slowly. Lional Hampton is a good example. I don't
> know if there are any ways around this problem.
>
> --
> Seems Buddy Rich found one.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153097247497211&set=vb.113116562210&type=2&theater
> or
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k
> (same clip)
> Kristjan

There is a subtle difference between playing a drum solo and
accompanying a band. With the former, you can set your own pace (and
play your favourite phrases!), but with the latter you have to fit in
with the needs of the rest of the band. Having said that, playing
wearing a "monkey" suit can't be that easy!

      Julian Vein