[78-L] ear tubes

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Mon Apr 13 19:42:23 PDT 2015

In 1967 we flew from NY to LA on United Airlines.  Don't remember if this
was before in-flight movies or not, but we were treated to some kind of
audio which played not through headphones but through plastic tubing, much
like the ear tubes being discussed here.  They sounded pretty good.  They
plugged into the arm rests where there were little holes that presumably had
micro-mini speakers, not unlike the ear buds we had for transistor radios
back then.  I played with them for years, including placing them on ear buds
for transistor radios - the flesh-colored ones that looked like hearing
aids.  The ear pieces had soft nubs that fit comfortably in your ears.  They
came in plastic bags (to insure their sterility as I recall from the
printing on the bag) and they were ours to keep - which I did until somebody
made me clean my room many years later and they were judged to be without
value.  I wonder what they go for on e8ay?  Many times since I had wished I
had them.  Anybody who has ever worked on a car using a stethoscope to help
isolate noises will understand.  I'm not much of a mechanic by any stretch,
but I remember telling my A/C mechanic about them and that experience just a
few years ago, and he bought a stethoscope the next week.