[78-L] Older musicians

Joe Salerno jsalerno at collector.org.invalid
Tue Apr 7 14:56:06 PDT 2015

Some might limit themselves to certain keys. Abbey Simon, no 78s that I
know of, was in a car accident and his hands were injured. He rebuilt
his technic, but some keys are more painful than others so he doesn't
play in those keys. Leon Fleisher lost the use of his right hand for 35
years, played only with the left hand, until he got the use of the RH
back thru Rolfing and other healing modalities. Paul Witgenstein, who
made a few 78s before he lost his arm, lost his right arm in WW1, so he
played left hand literature only, like the Ravel D Maj Concerto,
commissioned works, and taught. These 2 are rather extreme examples. Is
this what you meant?

Joe Salerno