[78-L] What is the procedure for getting permission from Sony to play records on a German radio station?

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Mon Mar 30 03:09:46 PDT 2015

The fact that European radio stations report every song that is played
makes it possible for GEMA and other societies for musical performing
rights to do precisely what Benno says they don't: pay the very
composer/ lyricist his or her fair share. It's different with music
played in hotels, bars, spas etc, who rarely send specified music
reports. In this case the money paid to GEMA & co ends up in what you
call "a large pot".
I spend nearly an hour a week writing detailed music reports for my two
hour programme in Swedish Radio. All producers of music programmes at SR
are obliged to do the same. Boring job but I'm glad I can help minor
artists to get what they're entitled to.
Kristjan