[78-L] What is the procedure for getting permission from Sony to play records on a German radio station?

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Sun Mar 29 11:32:27 PDT 2015

If these are issued musical recordings they are in public domain in
Europe and can even be reissued by anyone who wishes to do so. Composer/
lyricist copyright may still apply, though, and has to be observed (it
last 70 after the death of the last copyright owner).
As for broadcasting the recordings no record company can prevent a radio
station to do so, no matter if the recording is in PD or not. Contrary
to US conditions public radio stations in Europe pay copyright fees to
the national societies for musical performing rights, in this case
German GEMA. Only recordings from 1962 and later, are protected by the
new EU copyrights act, which means you have to pay the record company
for using them.
I'm not sure about spoken word recordings.
Kristjan