[78-L] circus music on 78 rpm

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com.invalid
Mon Feb 16 12:07:26 PST 2015

I believe that there were one or two companies which specialized in
circus music but unfortunately, especially during our blizzard, I am not
in a position to go and find where all the ones I have are.  In our town
there was a man who created a miniature circus and was also a 78
collector.  Years ago I bought his records and there was a wooden
carrying case with over 25 78s of circus music for his display.  Some of
them might have been from the effects libraries -- and I was familiar
with all of those labels -- but I remember some were from a label or two
I had not seen before.

Perhaps the Circus Museum in Sarasota, Fla could help you.  And thinking
of this reminded me that our good friend, the late Fred Williams, often
spent some time down there playing with their bands.  Since he had THE
outstanding band collection, perhaps David Seubert at U.C. Santa Barbara
might have a lead on the circus band records that Fred must have had in
his collection.  That is where his records went.

One side of the Capitol LP of the film music of Danny Kaye's "Merry
Andrew" was circus music which might have been the same Billy May album
that David Lennick mentioned.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com