[78-L] circus music on 78 rpm

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com.invalid
Mon Feb 16 07:43:03 PST 2015

The famous circus theme is called ENTRANCE OF THE GLADIATORS, written in
1897.
78 collectors should be able to identify many version of this march.
Browsing I found one by Art Hinett on Bluebird B11174 and Montgomery Ward
M-8399.
Red Nichols and his Five Pennies did it on a Snader Telescription.  Not sure
if it was ever on 78.  It is on youTube.
It is on the soundtrack of the 1941 film, "Dumbo".  Not sure if it was on
78.
ENTRANCE OF THE GLADIATORS is sometimes known as ENTRY OF THE GLADIATORS and
THUNDER AND BLAZES.
Another favorite circus march is BARNUM AND BAILEY'S FAVORITE.  It was
recorded by the Cities Service Band of America with Paul Lavalle on a 1951
RCA Victor 10" album, "America's Favorite Marches", LPM 3022.  It was also
released as a single 45, RCA Victor 47-4157, so perhaps on 78 also.
RayK

From: Maria Fletcher
Hello listers
I am seeking information on circus music that may have been recorded onto
78rpm.
Can anyone guide me?