[78-L] Biograph records - where are they now...

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Feb 11 01:29:24 PST 2015

On 11/02/15 03:12, Thomas Stern wrote:
> I recently noticed some of the old BIOGRAPH lp's reissued on CD
>
> by COLLECTABLES (the Dorsey Brothers recordings) in collaboration
>
> with SHOUT FACTORY.  I thought BIOGRAPH had been purchased by SONY/Columbia,
> and think there were some CDs issued under that ownership.
>
> Does anyone know what the disposition of the Biograph holdings is?
>
> Are the Collectables licensed from Sony ??  How does Shout Factory get
>
> involved ??
>
> Thanks, Thomas.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shout!_Factory but note the caveats at
the top. No mention of Collectables. I've been curious about where
Collectables gets its material from. I have the Bill Russo "World of
Alcina", which sounds pretty decent, except on one of the small group
tracks there is what sounds like the stylus encountering a ball of fluff
and the sound going fuzzy. I assume they are legit, but are they just
dubbing the original LPs (without checking the results) or do they have
access to the master tapes?

      Julian Vein