[78-L] ^what archival really means

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Sun Feb 8 14:30:25 PST 2015

Not quite on topic for 78 collectors, but this is a post from a photograph
preservation view, and there is much crossover here for sleeves, albums,
catalogs, etc.

=-=-=-=

http://practicalarchivist.com/what-archival-really-means.html

"Archival"

"Photo-Safe"

"Permanent"

You've seen these words on photo albums and scrapbook supplies, but I bet
you didn't know that they are  basically meaningless. Yep. That's right. Sad
but true. There is no standard legal definition for any of these terms.
Which means that companies are free use these words to describe any product
they want to sell -- even products made from materials which are known to
cause damage to photographs. I have personally seen those notoriously
damaging sticky magnetic albums sold as archival. I nearly caused a scene in
the scrapbook store.

Check out this little-known fact: The term "archival" has been applied so
loosely and so inappropriately that it's no longer used in International
Standards for photographic materials.

But what about acid free?

Acid free is great. You need to keep your photographs away from acids
because they act like a very slow fire. If you've ever seen a brown
burn-like stain left by a newspaper clipping, you know exactly what I'm
talking about.

So, yes! Acid free is important, but it's not enough to assure the longest
possible life for your photographs. If you'd like to check the acidity of
any paper, there are inexpensive pH testing pens available from most
archival supply companies. Keep in mind that the lignins that remain after
trees are turned into paper become acidic over time, so "lignin-free" is
also important.

There is only one way to be sure you are getting the highest quality
archival supplies.

As always, independent testing gives us the most reliable information.

Thank goodness for the PAT (Photographic Activity Test) -- an International
Standard (ISO 14523) developed by the Image Permanence Institute. The test
involves incubating materials in temperature- and humidity-controlled
chambers to simulate aging. Manufacturers must pay for this test, and it
takes between four and six weeks.

The PAT predicts potentially harmful interactions between photographs and
storage materials such as album pages, covers, and envelopes. It is also
used to test all the components of storage materials such adhesives, inks,
paints, labels, and tapes.

You can find PAT passed materials at an archival supply company such as
Gaylord and Hollinger Metal Edge.

=-=-=-=

Are shellac or vinyl records affected by acidic paper?

Rodger

For best results use Victor Needles