[78-L] Man who lived modestly leaves millions .. & Edison machine

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net.invalid
Wed Feb 4 19:39:35 PST 2015

Cylinder records.

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com] On Behalf Of Joe Salerno
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 9:13 PM
To: 78-L Mail List
Subject: Re: [78-L] Man who lived modestly leaves millions .. & Edison
machine

What exactly is a recording drum? Were Edison's different somehow from any
others? (whatever they are)

Joe Salerno

On 2/4/2015 6:36 PM, David Lennick wrote:

> "Recording drums"...that's a new one!
>
> dl
>
> On 2/4/2015 4:53 PM, zimrec at juno.com wrote:
>>
>> This just in at msn.com: BRATTLEBORO, Vt.— A Vermont man who
>> sometimes held his coat together with safety pins and had a long-time
>> habit of foraging for firewood also had a hidden talent for picking
>> stocks— a talent that became public after his death when he
>> bequeathed $6 million to his local library and hospital.The
>> investments made by Ronald Read, a former gas station employee and
>> janitor who died last June at age 92, "grew substantially" over the
>> years, said his attorney Laurie Rowell.Read, who was known for his
>> flannel jacket and baseball cap, gave no hint of the size of his
>> fortune."He was unbelievably frugal," Rowell said Wednesday. When
>> Read visited her office, "sometimes he parked so far away so he
>> wouldn't have to pay the meter."The bequest of $4.8 million to the
>> Brattleboro Memorial Hospital and $1.2 million to the town's Brooks
>> Memorial Library were the largest each institution has ever received.
>> Read also made a number of smaller bequests."It's pret
>>    y incredible. This is not something that happens on a regular
>> basis," said the hospital's development director, Gina Pattison.In
>> addition to cash, he had an antique Edison phonograph with dozens of
>> recording drums that he left to the Dummerston Historical Society,
>> Rowell said."It's really a beautiful machine," said Historical
>> Society president Muriel Taylor.Read was born in Dummerston in 1921.
>> He was the first in his family to graduate from high school, walking
>> and hitchhiking about four miles each way from his home to the high
>> school in Brattleboro. After military service during World War II, he
>> returned to Brattleboro where he worked at a service station for 25
>> years then worked for 17 years as a janitor at the local J.C.
>> Penney.In 1960 he married a woman he met at the service station. She
>> died in 1970.Stepson Phillip Brown, of Somersworth, New Hampshire,
>> told the Brattleboro Reformer he visited Read every few months, more
>> often as Read's health declined. The only ind
> cati
>>    on Brown had of Read's investments was his regular reading of the Wall
Street Journal."I was tremendously surprised," Brown said of Read's hidden
wealth. "He was a hard worker, but I don't think anybody had an idea that he
was a multi-millionaire."