[78-L] Lil and Louis

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com.invalid
Sat Jan 31 05:14:56 PST 2015

This thread has been very interesting for me to follow. The pronunciation
of Armstrong's name has always been an interesting topic in the jazz
community when it comes up.

All I can say is that Dan Morgenstern, who is one of the most respected
elder statesman in the jazz writing and scholarship world (and whom I'm
honored to call a friend and colleague), knew Armstrong well since the 40s
and has always pronounced his name Louie.

I've always had a theory about the Hello Dolly recording, and forgive me if
this has been stated before. "This is Louie, Dolly" just doesn't have the
same effect as "This is Louis, Dolly." The rhyme detracts. Has anyone
considered that the original producer of the track (Dave Kapp?) may have
made the suggestion? Such things are not unheard of, and Armstrong was very
amenable to suggestions. He was very easygoing and usually did what he was
asked in the studio.