[78-L] Lil and Louis

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
Fri Jan 30 15:51:25 PST 2015

I don't know if the correctness is political, but I agree that perhaps Mr. Armstrong felt that "Louie" was a bit demeaning and wanted to educate his fans that his proper name is Louis.  In "Hello Dolly", he puts great emphasis on the pronounciation of his name and, of course, that line or anything like it isn't even in the original song.
db

     On Friday, January 30, 2015 6:34 PM, Julian Vein <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

On 30/01/15 22:15, Randy Watts wrote:
>  Seems that in recent years, though, I usually hear "Lew-is" when his name is mentioned in the media.

I suspect there's an element of political correctness going on here. I
recall one avant garde jazz musician referring to King Oliver not as
"Joe Oliver", but as "Joseph Oliver", presumably as a way of giving
respectability to jazz musicians. And years ago Johnny Dankworth started
referring to himself as "John".

      Julian Vein