[78-L] Lil and Louis

Randy Watts rew1014 at yahoo.com.invalid
Fri Jan 30 14:15:07 PST 2015

In Armstrong's radio and TV appearances, you will hear his name pronounced both "Lew-ee" and "Lew-is," though the former appears to have been much more common. Seems that in recent years, though, I usually hear "Lew-is" when his name is mentioned in the media.
The Louis Armstrong House Museum, in New York, notes on their website that on home-recorded tapes, Armstrong pronounces his own name "Lew-is." They point out, though, that his widow used "Lew-ee" in a 1983 videotaped interview.
Randy