[78-L] question about King Oliver Creole Jazz Band recordings

David W. Schultz davidschultz.us at gmail.com.invalid
Mon Jan 19 15:06:22 PST 2015

Thank you.
I have several of these, all in E condition.
I play them on a Victor Orthophonic Victrola (circa 1925) using bamboo needles and the sound is amazingly good for an acoustic recording.  The electrical recordings are, obviously superior.  The key is the record must be E or better in order to use the bamboo needle.  Otherwise, the needle wears out prematurely.
One interesting things I have noticed is that records made in the early or mid 30s must have "finer" grooves.  The bamboo needles will not make it through an entire record without breaking down.  Does that make sense?
Thanks, again, for your information.
David Schultz