[78-L] question about King Oliver Creole Jazz Band recordings

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Mon Jan 19 08:55:53 PST 2015

If from Gennett they were all reissues from (1923/24) acoustically
recorded material obtained through either leases from Gennett or from
other companies who may have purchased the masters when Gennett went out
of business in the mid 1930s. Oliver also recorded for Brunswick
independent of Gennett from 1926 to 1928.
I'm not up on when the album sets were released, though. My best
guesstimate would be late 1930s - early 1940s, and possibly even into
the WW2 years. as many companies relied on reissues of existing material
during the war or the musician's union recording bans.
Perhaps someone else can fill in here.
Malcolm

*******