[78-L] Heartaches and Decca 25000s

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Mon Jan 12 06:34:41 PST 2015

The Decca version was recorded in 1938 (as mentioned elsewhere). It's also at a
different tempo from the Bluebird, which was recorded when rumbas were the
thing. Both 40s pressings were reissues. Every account I've read refers to
Charlotte, NC disc jockey Kurt Webster playing the old Bluebird 78 on his
popular radio show (dance party). The Decca was likely still in print and had
probably been reissued as 25017 by this time, so Decca distributors might have
started pushing it while Victor went "Duh, we got dat one too". In fact I think
Decca in Canada still kept it with its original catalog number, since post-1946
copies are easy to find. I've never seen a Canadian pressing of 25017.

dl