[78-L] Fletcher Henderson 78

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
Wed Jan 7 21:13:45 PST 2015

Bluebird 78s seem to abound in any record collection I doubt if any of them is rare enough to become a collectors' item and I'm not really interested in the monetary value of records generally anyway, but I came across one record which I like simply because of the physical artifact itself.  It is a U.S. pressed Bluebird with the "Victor" label style used between fall 1938 and fall 1943 of Fletcher Henderson's Band, Number B 10246.  It is in such pristine condition, (it came from the CBC library and the surface shines like a new record), that I'm sure it hasn't been played more than half a dozen times if at all, (well it's been played once because I just played it).  What is particularly attractive about it is that even though it's a reissue, from April 27, 1927, unusual for Bluebird, they obviously used the original 1927 stampers.  There is no distortion and the surface is so clean that switching CEDAR on and off resulted in no audible change in surface noise whatsoever.
I'm curious to know if the U.S. ever pressed fat labeled Bluebirds; I've never seen one.  I have fat labeled Canadian pressings, both of the Buff labels and of the label style mentioned above, but no fat U.S. Labels.
db