[78-L] reliable CD-R blanks?

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
Sat Dec 27 08:33:08 PST 2014

Replying to Gene's question, if you want to record in real time, (i.e. a live concert), you have to use blanks which are reliable at 1x.  Otherwise, it's like taking pictures on a bright sunny day in winter with fast film; the lasar burns the surface of the CDR and the surrounding area and playback is impossible.  I must add, however, that this isn't always the case; at CBC, we were often given TDK blanks to record live concerts and they often worked fine, even though they were rated up to 52x with no slow end indicated.  Unlike David L., I haven't had the problems with SONY blanks that he describes, however I HAVE had the same shabby treatment from SONY when it comes to backing up their products.  Of course, if you NEVER record live concerts or anything in real time, there's no problem with sticking to hi-speed blanks, but at least having some 1x blanks on hand is useful whenever you DO need them.
db