[78-L] Chestnuts Roasting

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Thu Dec 25 15:24:11 PST 2014

With trio, with Frank DeVol's strings, again in 1952 according to Wiki, and for
stereo lp. Anyone know of more?

First recording: Recorded at WMCA Radio Studios, New York City, June 14, 1946.
Label credit: The King Cole Trio (Nat King Cole, vocal-pianist; Oscar Moore,
guitarist; Johnny Miller, bassist). Not issued until 1989, when it was
(accidentally) included on the various-artists compilation Billboard Greatest
Christmas Hits (1935--1954) Rhino R1 70637(LP) / R2 70637(CD).

Second recording: Recorded at WMCA Radio Studios, New York City, August 19,
1946. First record issue. Label credit: The King Cole Trio with String Choir
(Nat King Cole, vocal-pianist, Oscar Moore, guitarist; Johnny Miller, bassist;
Charlie Grean, conductor of 4 string players, a harpist and a drummer) Lacquer
disc master #981. Issued November 1946 as Capitol 311(78rpm). This is featured
on a CD called The Holiday Album, which has 1940s Christmas songs recorded by
Cole and Bing Crosby. In 2005 Capitol restored and re-released it for the 25
bit re-mastered Cole album "The Christmas Song," which also contains tracks
from his 1960 and 1963 holiday albums.

Third recording: Recorded at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, August 24, 1952. This
was the song's first magnetic tape recording. Label credit: The King Cole Trio
with String Choir (Actual artists: Nat King Cole, vocal; Nelson Riddle,
orchestra conductor) Master #11726, take 11. Issued November 1953 as the "new"
Capitol 90036(78rpm) / F90036(45rpm) (Capitol first issued 90036 in 1950 with
the second recording). Correct label credit issued on October 18, 1954 as
Capitol 2955(78rpm) / F2955(45rpm). Label credit: Nat "King" Cole with
Orchestra Conducted by Nelson Riddle. This recording is available on the 1990
CD Cole, Christmas and Kids, as well as the various-artists compilation Casey
Kasem Presents All Time Christmas Favorites. It was also included, along with
both 1946 recordings, on the 1991 Mosaic Records box set The Complete Capitol
Recordings of the Nat King Cole Trio.

Fourth recording: Recorded at Capitol Studios, New York City, March 30, 1961.
This rendition, the first recorded in stereo, is widely played on radio
stations during the Christmas season, and is probably the most famous version
of this song. Label credit: Nat King Cole (Nat King Cole, vocal; Charles Grean
& Pete Rugolo, orchestration; Ralph Carmichael, orchestra conductor). The
instrumental arrangement is nearly identical with the 1953 version, but the
vocals are much deeper and more focused. Originally done for The Nat King Cole
Story (a 1961 LP devoted to stereo re-recordings of Cole's earlier hits), this
recording was later appended to a reissue of Cole's 1960 holiday album The
Magic of Christmas. Retitled The Christmas Song, the album was issued in 1963
as Capitol W-1967(mono) / SW-1967(stereo) and today is in print on compact
disc. This recording of "The Christmas Song" is also available on numerous
compilation albums. Some are Capitol pop standards Christmas compilations while
others are broader-based

--------

dl