[78-L] was eBay question ^ website icons - still ^ but may be helpful

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Sat Oct 25 22:02:39 PDT 2014

I embarked upon a new career in March of this year as a software tester.  I
test new websites.  Sometimes I get a clear list of criteria of things it is
supposed to do or not do, and sometimes I don't.  I have learned that the
new generation of web creators are very increasingly fond of icons that seem
to have some meaning to them, but are maybe not so clear to the rest of us.
Major lesson: Look for dopey-looking icons and hover.  You will be surprised
- well, maybe not after David's experience - at all the junk they hide
there, including all kinds of crucial information/actions you will need.  I
know; I find them for a living.

I have complained about of few of these and gotten some changed, others not.
My favorite dopey icon story goes back to the seatbelt laws.  May have been
in All in a Day's Work in the Reader's Digest umpteen years ago.  A woman
brought her car back to the dealer, she was in tears because her car had
threatened her.  What!? Said the service writer.  She turned the key and
showed him the red light of a guy wearing an ammo belt with a rifle over his
shoulder.  That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that for the
first time, too, only I figured it out pretty quickly.  The one in my Ford
still looks too much like that and I chuckle at it frequently to this day.
When she removes her seatbelt to move around in the car a little I tell my
wife to hurry and get it re-fastened so the rifle guy won't show up.
Happened again on today's road trip and I got home and saw this exchange.
Made my day.  Thanks, guys.