[78-L] October 22nd 78 session

Iñigo Cubillo ice261263 at gmail.com.invalid
Wed Oct 22 14:55:18 PDT 2014

I need to report. These are only some sensations and souvenirs from the
just ended two hour 78 session. It was since several days ago that I
did not have a session. I usually enjoy them very much... but today's
session has been a bit more special than others.
In times I had a session every evening-to-nite, but in later years life
has become a bit more difficult, and also my children are no more kids,
but teens. And so I have now to share the music room, where the PC is also
installed. But still they go to bed not too late, and so I can use the
music devices from 22:00 on. Pity I cannot play the 78s at full power,
but still it is enjoyable.
Today I played first the full Columbia CBS album of Boswell Sisters
repressings, 'cause I entered the room humming the "Everybody Loves My
Baby" tune, and I had to play it. One after another, the eight 1932-1934
sides (originally Brunswick) by the Sisters were parading in front of my
ears and imagination... and I spent a great time. I almost didn't remember
the last two songs, two LA recordings with Jimmy Grier's orch: "Rock and
Roll" and "The Object of my Affection".
After that, I took out a couple of records from the Decca 200 "Gems of Jazz"
album. I played a couple of Bud Freeman sides, and the record with Jess Stacy
and Meade Lux Lewis piano pieces. Usually the boogie-woogie leaves me a bit
tired, as it is so an insistent accompaniment... but today I appreciated it
better than other times.
Then I took out Ellingtonia no. 1 album of Decca-Brunswick reissues in the
80,000 series, the B-1000. And here it went a second and nice surprise. I
had not listened to these records since many long, and I was kindly lifted-up
by the energetic cornet, the band and the banjo backing in the 1927
recordings of "East St. Louis Toodle-Oo" and "Birmingham Breakdown". But
the drive was irresistible when the 1931 "Rocking in Rhythm" and "Twelfth
Street Rag" arrived. What a swing...!!! I enjoyed all the records very much,
but these two sides left me astonished. The "Black and Tan Fantasie" came after,
and is an old favourite of mine, but I am very much used to the late 1947
Victor version. I confess that the primitive jungle-styled 1927 version seemed
fresh water sprayed in my skin in a hot summer noon... The ending "Wall Street
Wail" and "Mood Indigo" were also delicious.
After that, my hand doubted one moment in front of the later Columbia CBS
reissue album of Ellington 1932-1933 Brunswicks, "The Duke" (C38, Hot Jazz
Classics no.5) but suddenly I shifted to the "Waller On the Ivories" spine and
pulled it out. Victor P-109. My edition is a Canadian copy of Montreal RCA-Victor
vinylite pressings (1948 age?) but two of the copies I have substituted by
US RCA-Victor shellac pressings, of much better material. The original owner
of these records tried to clean the vinylite with alcohol... but luckily he
must have noticed the disaster before rubbing the surfaces, and the undeletable
marks of liquid drops are there forever. A slight swosh is noticed through the
drop stains.
I played through the complete album, marveiling myself on the always
surprising strong playing by Fats, the solid left hand accompaniment, the
incredible light right hand, and all that magic that he deployed in all his
renditions of everything. He was music, and rhythm. God bless him.
And I want to thank God for this present, two hours of musical delight.
I always like 78s, and I know I like them. But every time I play them in such
sessions, I always find them ---to my delight--- much better than I remembered!