[78-L] I just finished a book that I put online.

ERIC BYRON bear128 at verizon.net.invalid
Thu Oct 16 04:03:03 PDT 2014

hope making this statement is appropriate.  If it is not, please disregard this message.

just finished a book that I put online.  I call it Crank Up the Phonograph:
Who We Are and Where We Came From in Earl Sound Recordings.  You can access it at
<http://www.crankupthephonograph.com/>.

As
I state in the summary:  “Using early
recordings as a base for study, Crank Up
the Phonograph: Who We Are and Where We Came From in Early Sound Recordings attempts to understand how the people of that period (1890s – ca. 1930, late
1940s – ca. 1960) viewed themselves, others and the general world they
encountered. The five chapters focus on sale patterns of early recordings, the
utilization of stereotypical language to define boundaries, English
acquisition, the confrontation with other strange technologies, and finally,
the ramifications of a diminished trait list among immigrant groups.”

I realize that this book is not a
definitive study, but a suggestion.

Eric Byron