[78-L] Shipping records to Europe, or . . .

H D Goldman thedoctor at discdoc.com.invalid
Fri Oct 10 09:23:55 PDT 2014

There is a special service offered by FedEx to those with an account that offers substantial discounts for international shipments.  I say "special" because few of their store managers or phone operators including 1st tier managers seem to be aware of the "Great Rate" program.  The real issue is getting the phone no. itself so I'll save you the effort:  877 463 7408.

Cost is determined by the greater of actual vs. dimensional weight [LxWxD/139] in pounds.  There is an 11lb. minimum as determined by either method.  Best pricing is currently obtained by processing online with the result that you can print out all needed paperwork at the same time.

The web site is straightforward & allows you to identify which party is responsible for duties/fees generated upon arrival, etc.  Phonograph records can be enter & valued as 1 item.   Schlep the package to a FedEx store, they can print they label & supply the pouch for the paperwork.

Regards,

Duane Goldman

On Oct 10, 2014, at 10:18 AM, Joe Salerno <jsalerno at collector.org.invalid> wrote:

> While we are on this subject, I have been thinking about a sturdy box to
> use as a 78 carrier - 10 or 12" and possibly mixed, that could be
> carried on a plane. I know there may be a weight limit for a carry on,
> so that would limit the number of records as well.
>
> Anyone ever tackled this before?
>
> Joe Salerno
>
> On 10/9/2014 10:24 PM, Roger Wade wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dennis,
>>
>> In my experience shipping 78s overseas, I pretty much maxed out at 30 10-inch 78s in a 12x12x12 box from ULine.com with at least 6 corrugated 10-inch mailer pads from BagsUnlimited.com and lots of bubble wrap, packing peanuts and other padding per shipment.  I have not shipped that many 78s overseas in one shipment since surface mail was eliminated several years ago.  Now anything over 4 pounds has to ship via Priority Mail International which is very expensive.
>>
>> In a nutshell I would not take on a project like the one you described and I doubt that any buyer would find it reasonable to pay for shipping that many 78s at Priority International rates.
>>
>> Last year I shipped over 800 packages of records to 38 different countries plus the USA so I have plenty of experience to base my opinion on.
>>
>> Best of luck to you my friend.
>>
>> Roger Wade
>> Really Old Records
>>

>> On Oct 9, 2014, at 3:38 PM, Dennis Flannigan wrote:
>>

>>> I have a few thousand (actually, more) 78s, primarily county music genres,
>>> and
>>> way too many other kinds that interest others, but not always Americans. Has
>>> anyone shipped a thousand 78s, or a similarly large number overseas? What
>>> has been the result, cost? Can they be safely shipped without wrapping them
>>> in smaller bundles with cardboard between, or if not, how?
>>>
>>> Finally, was the work of doing it worth the time it took? Not financially,
>>> but in terms
>>> of packaging, insurance, and messing with it all? And is it simply, too
>>> damn expensive?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>> 78-L mailing list