[78-L] Bally Records info wanted

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Sat Sep 27 18:25:09 PDT 2014

On 9/27/2014 10:27 AM, Thomas Stern wrote:
> Anyone have information about a CHICAGO based label BALLY ?????
>

> They appear to have produced pop/jazz titles on 78rpm late 40's (1000
> series, B100 matrices) and on LP in the mid 50's (12000 series).

The pinball machine maker Bally did indeed attempt to enter the record
industry in the mid 50's. I think their aim was primarily in jukebox
entertainment. That is why so many of them are now on the market (NOS
product). They named Lou Breese as VP. That was in very early 1956. Lou
recorded many of their offerings. Sparton was their Canadian partner; I
am not sure of the exact nature of the connection, probably contractual.
They had no really big hits, but Betty Johnson did "I Dreamed" in 1957
which hit No. 9 on Billboard Top 100 in 1957. Other artists were Bob
Carroll, Caesar Giovannini, Claude Bolling, David Bee & His Orchestra,
Ted Weems, Thurl Ravenscroft and Win Stracke.
Here's a more complete story
http://www.bsnpubs.com/chicago/bally/bally.html

No 78's, despite Wiki's claim.
Nat Cole's brother Ike recorded here.*