[78-L] Fonotipia records pressed in USA

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl.invalid
Wed Sep 24 13:50:52 PDT 2014

ARLIE has the US Fonotipia label types, and the Sutton-Nauck ARLC says:
"... distribution of Fonotipia was turned over to General Phonograph, which in
April 1922 began to issue new domestic pressings from Fonotipia masters...
General continued to offer Fonotipia pressings in limited numbers
until its acquisition by Columbia in 1926."

OKeh (General) either started new series for the Fonotipias or continued
the numbering of its existing classical series (not known what is the case).
I have scans of Fonotipia(USA) 6011-12 (Price $1.25), and this might be a
continuation of the OKeh 6000 series, of which I have label scans in the
range 6001-10.
The single-sided pressings with the OK label (with text) on the reverse are
in 52/53/63000 series. priced $1.50.

Roger, can you send me label scans of your Fonotipia 5038?
I have never seen this series, but have a few scans of the OKeh 5000s,
in range 5002-5005, which are 12"classical issues, $1.75.

han enderman
===

I have a Fonotipia 11 3/4 inch 78, catalog number 5038, that says
"Pressed in United States under license from Societa Italiana di Fonotipia - Milan, Italy".

The label is light blue with gold and blue print.
The artist's name, Giacomo Lauri-Volpi, is hand written across the label below the center hole.
I have not been able to find any information about this pressing.  When were these U.S.

pressings made?  I am assuming that these are 1922 recordings but I think the record is a
bit newer than that.
Roger Wade
---
I have a bunch of these, and I thought the pressings were a lot earlier.
Done by Columbia. 1909, according to this.
http://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/resources/detail/107
dl
---
Depending on year of release it was either Columbia (pre 1910) or
General Phonograph Corp. - otherwise known as OKeh  (c. mid 1920s).
I would have said probably Pathe or ARCo because of the 11.5" size.
I would have been wrawng.
Malcolm
---
The blue labelled Fonotipias were indeed pressed by Okeh.
Sean Miller
---
The matrices on this record date from 1922 according to a Puccini discography I found
online, so this must be an Okeh pressing.
---
I didn't notice the Lauri-Volpi credit until now, either.  I have a single faced Fonotipia of his
with the Okeh label on the blank back.
Sean Miller
---
Giacomo Lauri-Volpi wasn't singing before WW1.
These were his first (acoustic) recordings in the early 20s, before he changed labels.
Earl Okin.
<<<